If you have found yourself here looking for MKVtools to convert videos to either MP4 or AVI videos, then you should download either M4tools or AVItools, not MKVtools. If you are a user of the original version of MKVtools and are looking for updates, see here.
MKVtools is technically trialware, though in reality, the unregistered version has nearly complete functionality with two minor exceptions:
- A “nag” window will appear every time you load a new file.
- You may only open 1 file at a time, so you can't take advantage of the queue and batch capabilities of MKVtools.
The above limitations will disappear if you register the software, which will cost you a total of $5.99, the price of a Big Mac dinner around here. Hopefully you will consider the usefulness of this software to be worth the price of a meal at McDonald's :-).
Note, that the output of the registered and unregistered versions of MKVtools will be identical, so you can thoroughly test MKVtools before you decide to support it’s development. Bugs still exist which may or may not get fixed and there are known issues and probably some unknown issues :-). You should probably consider this software as being sold "as is", so test thoroughly to see if you think you’re getting your moneys worth before registering.
If you decide to register, download the software using the link below, and then follow these registration instructions.
Version 3.0 of MKVtools is the initial version of the application. It was created as an offshoot of version 2.4.x of MKVtools, with the goal of allowing the application to have a better focus on the processing of MKV video files.
Download MKVtools 3.2.4
MKVtools is Intel-only and requires Mac OS X 10.6.x or later. It has been tested on a MacBook Pro and a Mac Pro with no known issues.
Note, download manager users have had problems downloading from this web site so you may want to turn yours off. Here is a hotfile.com link if you have problems downloading via the above link. Just press the "Free" button and follow the instructions.
If you are having difficulties running the current version of MKVtools, you can try one of the older versions of MKVtools.
If MKVtools doesn't quite do what you want it to, you can see if there is a beta version of the software found here. Please help bring the beta software into general release by sending feedback to: firstname.lastname@example.org
3.2.4 - 1/28/13
- Fixed a bug that prevented the "Split" button from being enabled in Snow Leopard
- Fixed some permission issues that could effect users on computers with mulitple accounts
3.2.3 - 1/14/13
- Fixed a bug that sometimes occurred when multiple audio tracks were selected
- Fixed a bug that could cause MKVtools to crash during the muxing step
3.2.2 - 1/2/12
- Numerous watch mode fixes
3.2.1 - 12/30/12
- Fixed bug that would potentially freeze the application
- Improved and expanded watch mode
- subfolders are now "watched"
- watched files are no longer moved to a processing folder
- Numerous fixes to the setting presets
- Presets options now includes "None" for the video track
- Expanded filtering capabilities for the selections presets
3.2 - 12/8/12
- Code has been completely rewritten from applescript to Obj-C so the chance of lingering bugs is high :-).
- Improved general responsiveness of application
- Fixed bug causing the app to crash when multiple files were queued.
- Numerous fixes and improvements to joining.
- Joining (2 files max) can now be tested in the non-registered version. Open a file and then use the Add File button to add a file to join.
- Added checks for volume permissions and disk space
- Resolved registration issue with systems where macports had overwritten "user 501"
- Windows can be re-sized.
3.0 - 1/27/12 (changes from MKVtools 2.4.7)
- Initial release of the re-branded version of MKVtools which incorporates all MKV related features of the original version and ...
- Added the ability to create MKV videos from multiple video formats
- Added the ability to join MKV videos
- The Quick Tab has been removed to be replaced by ...
- Added user definable "presets" to automate which tracks are selected
- Added user definable "presets" to automate conversion settings, including the option for letting MKVtools "guess" at the best settings
- MKVtools can now be put in a watch mode, where it will monitor a "watch folder" and process any videos added to the folder using the presets
- This application will NO LONGER create MP4 or AVI videos, use MP4tools or AVItools for that functionality
- New registration system tied to the name of the original user account (admin or standard user) which will allow MKVtools to be registered on multiple and upgraded computers (as long as the computers share original account names).
- Improved handling of SSA/ASS subtitles.
- Added the capability to mux multiple audio and sub tracks
- added toggle all video/audio/sub buttons
- can now input mpeg 2 video tracks
- dragging and dropping single audio tracks will add it to the current video
- Various bug fixes.