Welcome to the home of EmmGunn, where you'll find some Mac OS X tools for the editing and conversion of video files. All applications have a simplified interface for easy conversions, with a focus on speed. Here is a summary of the applications that you'll find at this site:
VIDEOtoolbox Suite of Applications
MKVtools 2 has been split into the VIDEOtoolbox Suite of applications. Each application in the suite is specialized for specific types of video files. You can register for the whole suite, which gives you a code to unlock all of the applications, or you can register applications individually. Currently there are four applications in the suite:
- MP4tools 3
- An application used for the creation and editing of MP4/M4V videos. It will primarily be useful for those preparing/editing videos to be viewed on Apple products like the iPhone, iPad and Apple TV, though these files are also viewable on other hardware like the PS3 and Xbox 360. Most users looking to upgrade from MKVtools 2 will probably want this app. This app will not edit (split, extract tracks, join, ...) files other than MP4/M4V videos.
- AVItools 3
- An application used for the creation and editing of AVI videos. It will primarily be useful for those preparing/editing videos to be viewed on DivX certified DVD players, though AVI videos are also viewable on the PS3 and Xbox 360. This app will not edit files (split, extract tracks, join, ...) other than AVI videos.
- MKVtools 3
- This is an updated and more specialized version of MKVtools 2. It's used for the creation and editing of MKV videos, something the previous version of MKVtools did not do very well. Note, unlike MKVtools 2, this version will not create MP4 videos. This app will not edit files (split, extract tracks, join, ...) other than MKV videos.
- Primarily designed to be a helper-application for the above. Subtitles can be quickly sent back and forth between these applications and SUBtools for quick editing. It can also use OCR to convert graphical subtitles to a text-based format.
The following applications are no longer being developed but are still available for users looking to keep their older versions up to date:
- MKVtools v.2.4.7
- This is the old version of MKVtools (i.e., MKVtools 2). It is a jack of all trades, doing a little bit of everything video related. It's primary focus is the creation of video files of a variety of formats for viewing on various types of hardware. It will also let you do some editing of MKV and MP4 files. To expand it's capabilities, this version of MKVtools has been split into the VIDEOtoolbox suite discussed above. Though available for users to update from previous versions of MKVtools 2, you should be looking at the VIDEOtoolbox suite of applications if you are considering registering for the first time..
- Quick Batcher and Batch Unpacker Plus
- These are older video related applications that are no longer supported, though they are still available on this site.