If you have found yourself here looking for MKVtools to convert videos to either MP4 or AVI videos, then you should download either M4tools or AVItools, not MKVtools. If you are a user of the original version of MKVtools and are looking for updates, see here.
MKVtools is technically trialware, though in reality, the unregistered version has nearly complete functionality with two minor exceptions:
- A “nag” window will appear every time you load a new file.
- You may only open 1 file at a time, so you can't take advantage of the queue and batch capabilities of MKVtools.
The above limitations will disappear if you register the software ($5.99 - the price of a Big Mac dinner around here). Hopefully you will consider the usefulness of this software to be worth the price of a meal at McDonald's :-).
Note, that the output of the registered and unregistered versions of MKVtools will be identical, so you can thoroughly test MKVtools before you decide to support it’s development. Bugs still exist which may or may not get fixed and there are known issues and probably some unknown issues :-). You should probably consider this software as being sold "as is", so test thoroughly to see if you think you’re getting your moneys worth before registering.
When registering, you have the option of registering for just MKVtools, or you can choose to register for the VIDEOtoolbox suite of applications for less than the cost of registering two applications. This will get you a registration code that unlocks all of the suite apps. If you decide to register, download the software using the link below, and then follow these registration instructions.
MKVtools is Intel-only (64-bit) and requires Mac OS X 10.9.x or later. It has been tested on a MacBook Pro and a Mac Pro with no known issues. If you are updating from a pre-3.5.x version, the preferences have been updated and as a result you will need to re-enter your presets, registration code and other preferences. Remember you can find your registration code in the preference panel of the current version. Sorry for the inconvenience.
If MKVtools doesn't quite do what you want it to, you can see if there is a beta version of the software found here. Please help bring the beta software into general release by sending feedback to: firstname.lastname@example.org
3.6.6 - 10/1/17
- Updated the ffmpeg binary to the latest version.
- The default audio option is set to pass thru if none is selected
3.6.5 - 5/22/17
- Updated/Improved the transfer of subtitles to SUBtools
- Fixed a bug that could cause an error when trying to mux in a subtitle file
- In the Settings Presets, the "Add 2-Ch. Track" now correctly uses the "If Stereo" bitrate
- Fixed a bug where log files were created for some processes regardless of preference settings
3.6.4 - 11/21/16
Fixed a bug that prevented files from opening for some users.
3.6.3 - 10/22/16
- Fixed a bug that could cause a crash when a large number of files were edited
- Some minor GUI changes with the Edit Files tab functionality
- Added a Debug Mode option in preferences to turn on logging to the console app
3.6.2 - 9/7/16
- Fixed a bug that prevented conversions when "Keep Log Files" was unchecked in preferences
3.6.1 - 9/6/16
- Update ffmpeg to version 3
- Numerous minor bug fixes
- Added more logging for the file opening process to help track down a bug effecting the opening of files for some users
3.6.0 - 7/11/16
- Updated to Swift 2
- Keep an eye out for minor random bugs
- Added a "Send Bug Report" option in the help menu
- Turned off compiler optimizations that would cause random crashing
- Added a pseudo store window to streamline the registration process
- Can now double click in the jobs queue to go to the output file
- Made various bug fixes with the "Q" popup
- Fixed various bugs with adding multiple files to the jobs queue
3.5.3 - 12/6/15
- Deleted a stray button matrix in the subtitle filter popup.
- Fixed a bug that could change the username when updating on systems with macports installed.
- Restored creation of default track titles.
3.5.2 - 11/14/15
- Fixed some issues with registration status and usernames.
- Fixed bugs that would cause crashes when some text fields were empty.
- Fixed bug that could cause subtitles imported from SUBtools to be ignored when processed.
- Fixed a bug that could cause crashing with some EyeTV files.
3.5.1 - 10/24/15
Fixed a bug that caused crashing on start up for some users.
3.5.0 - 10/19/15
- System requirements are now 10.9.x or higher.
- The preferences has changed so you will need to re-enter your registration code and other preferences.
- Most of the code updated to Swift
- Preference panel reorganized
- Fixed and improved handling of files with problem tracks
- Can now open eye tv packages
- Developer ID signing added to make gatekeeper happy
3.4.5 - 11/2/14
- Fixed an initial set of Yosemite related bugs
- changed to ARC
- Fixed a variety of bugs in the presets panel
- Fixed bug that mislabeled filenames in the queue drawer
- Fixed a bug that could cause crashes when editing jobs from the queue
- Fixed bug where log files of identical processes get appended instead of rewritten
3.4.4 - 6/23/14
- Fixed a bug that prevented graphical subtitles from being extracted
3.4.3 - 5/30/14
- Really fixed 2-pass encoding this time
- Fixed a bug that could freeze processes as "Queued" on systems earlier than 10.9.x
3.4.2 - 4/24/14
- Fixed bug that could cause some 2-pass conversions to fail
- Fixed a bug that could cause the app to crash during track extractions
- Fixed a bug that could prevent conversions from working properly after track extraction jobs
3.4.1 - 3/2/14
- Fixed a bug that could make the convert button be ignored after a group of files had been added to the job queue
- Fixed a bug that disabled the "Play" button
- Fixed a Watch Mode bug that would prevent some files from being added to the queue
3.4 - 2/22/14
- Can now send subtitles to SUBtools (must be v1.0.b6 or higher) and back for quick editing and formatting fixes
- Added a "Q" button to allow the user to view and manipulate individual files when a group of files are opened
- Users can now specify in preferences whether or not to use Dolby Pro Logic II when surround sound is down mixed to 2-channels
- Fixed a bug that made the app appear to lock up while the fontconfig cache was being initialized
- Improved handling of .ts files
- Multiple bug fixes to track identification which should reduce issues when opening files
- Fixed a bug that sometimes caused audio bitrates to being ignored.
- Fixed bug that prevented the "add 2-ch. track" from being applied
- Add the option to "keep" originals in presets
- Fixed bug that ignored times for splitting
- Threading related bug fixes that could cause freezes.
- Numerous Mavericks bug fixes
3.3.2 - 10/17/13
- Fixed a library bug that may happen for OS X 10.6 users.
- Fixed a bug that may cause the app to freeze for OS X 10.8 users.
- Fixed a bug in the registration window that would prevent the user name from displaying properly
3.3.1 - 8/9/13
- Fixed a bug preventing the preferences panel from opening in OS X 10.6
3.3.0 - 7/28/13
- The bulk of the processing code has been updated to match the improvements in MP4tools
- A number of improvements to burning subtitles (e.g., internal pgs should now be supported)
- Code for identifying tracks has been updated to reduce some "MP4tools could not identify ..." messages.
- Added code to produce error log files for occurrences of "MP4tools could not identify ..." messages.
- Improved handling of M2TS/MTS/TS videos
- The Edit Tracks Tab has been removed. Most of it's functionality was redundant (Extract Tracks is now in the MP4 tab).
- Fixed a bug that could cause 2-pass encoding to fail
- Various bug fixes
3.2.4 - 1/28/13
- Fixed a bug that prevented the "Split" button from being enabled in Snow Leopard
- Fixed some permission issues that could effect users on computers with multiple accounts
3.2.3 - 1/14/13
- Fixed a bug that sometimes occurred when multiple audio tracks were selected
- Fixed a bug that could cause MKVtools to crash during the muxing step
3.2.2 - 1/2/12
- Numerous watch mode fixes
3.2.1 - 12/30/12
- Fixed bug that would potentially freeze the application
- Improved and expanded watch mode
- sub-folders are now "watched"
- watched files are no longer moved to a processing folder
- Numerous fixes to the setting presets
- Presets options now includes "None" for the video track
- Expanded filtering capabilities for the selections presets
3.2 - 12/8/12
- Code has been completely rewritten from applescript to Obj-C so the chance of lingering bugs is high :-).
- Improved general responsiveness of application
- Fixed bug causing the app to crash when multiple files were queued.
- Numerous fixes and improvements to joining.
- Joining (2 files max) can now be tested in the non-registered version. Open a file and then use the Add File button to add a file to join.
- Added checks for volume permissions and disk space
- Resolved registration issue with systems where macports had overwritten "user 501"
- Windows can be re-sized.
3.0 - 1/27/12 (changes from MKVtools 2.4.7)
- Initial release of the re-branded version of MKVtools which incorporates all MKV related features of the original version and ...
- Added the ability to create MKV videos from multiple video formats
- Added the ability to join MKV videos
- The Quick Tab has been removed to be replaced by ...
- Added user definable "presets" to automate which tracks are selected
- Added user definable "presets" to automate conversion settings, including the option for letting MKVtools "guess" at the best settings
- MKVtools can now be put in a watch mode, where it will monitor a "watch folder" and process any videos added to the folder using the presets
- This application will NO LONGER create MP4 or AVI videos, use MP4tools or AVItools for that functionality
- New registration system tied to the name of the original user account (admin or standard user) which will allow MKVtools to be registered on multiple and upgraded computers (as long as the computers share original account names).
- Improved handling of SSA/ASS subtitles.
- Added the capability to mux multiple audio and sub tracks
- added toggle all video/audio/sub buttons
- can now input mpeg 2 video tracks
- dragging and dropping single audio tracks will add it to the current video
- Various bug fixes.