MP4tools is technically trialware, though in reality, the unregistered version has nearly complete functionality with two minor exceptions:
- A “nag” window will appear every time you load a new file.
- You may only run 1 job at a time, so you can't take advantage of the queue and batch capabilities of MP4tools.
The above limitations will disappear if you register the software ($5.99 - the price of a Big Mac dinner around here). Hopefully you will consider the usefulness of this software to be worth the price of a meal at McDonald's :-).
Note, that the output of the registered and unregistered versions of MP4tools will be identical, so you can thoroughly test MP4tools before you decide to support it’s development. Bugs still exist which may or may not get fixed and there are known issues and probably some unknown issues :-). You should probably consider this software as being sold "as is", so test thoroughly to see if you think you’re getting your moneys worth before registering.
When registering, you have the option of registering for just MP4tools, or you can choose to register for the VIDEOtoolbox suite of applications for less than the cost of registering two applications. This will get you a registration code that unlocks all of the suite apps. If you decide to register, download the software using the link below, and then follow these registration instructions.
MP4tools is Intel-only (64-bit) and requires Mac OS X 10.9.x or later. It has been tested on a MacBook Pro and a Mac Pro with no known issues. If you are updating from a pre-3.5.x version, the preferences have been updated and as a result you will need to re-enter your presets, registration code and other preferences. Remember you can find your registration code in the preference panel of the current version. Sorry for the inconvenience.
If you are having difficulties running the current version of MP4tools, you can try one of the older versions of MKVtools.
If MP4tools doesn't quite do what you want it to, you can see if there is a beta version of the software found here. Please help bring the beta software into general release by sending feedback to: email@example.com
3.5.2 - 11/14/15
- Fixed some issues with registration status and usernames.
- Fixed bugs that would cause crashes when some text fields were empty.
- Fixed bug that could cause subtitles imported from SUBtools to be ignored when processed.
- Fixed a bug that could cause crashing with some EyeTV files.
- Fixed movie metadata search bug.
3.5.1 - 10/24/15
- Fixed a bug that caused crashing on start up for some users.
3.5.0 - 10/19/15
- System requirements are now 10.9.x or higher.
- The preferences has changed so you will need to re-enter your registration code and other preferences.
- Most of the code updated to Swift
- Preference panel reorganized
- Fixed and improved handling of files with problem tracks
- Can now open eye tv packages
- Developer ID signing added to make gatekeeper happy
- Fixed a bug that prevented chapter files from being passed on to converted MP4/M4V video files
- known issue, this creates a "dummy" subtitle text track
- Added preference to force the extension to mp4
3.4.5 - 11/2/14
- Fixed an initial set of Yosemite related bugs
- Fixed bug where log files of identical processes get appended instead of rewritten
- Fixed a bug that could cause crashes when editing jobs from the queue
3.4.4 - 8/27/14
- Code converted to ARC
- Fixed a variety of bugs in the presets panel
- Fixed a bug that sometimes mislabeled filenames in the queue drawer
- Fixed a bug that could cause strange behavior in finder when writing to the log file
- Fixed a bug that prevented some subtitles from being sent to SUBtools
3.4.3 - 6/14/14
- Fixed a bug effecting 2-pass encoding when muxing SRT subtitles
- Fixed a bug that could effect the handling of the "Movie, Home Video,…" metadata
- Fixed a bug that could freeze some processing on systems earlier than 10.9
- "[NSURL fileSystemRepresentation]: unrecognized selector" error message
- Added "Video Remux" button to remux mp4's through mp4box to fix Apple TV stuttering issues on previously processed videos
3.4.2 - 4/24/14
- Fixed bug that could cause some 2-pass conversions to fail
- Fixed a bug that could cause the app to crash during track extractions
- Fixed a bug that could cause freezes during playback on some files when the AVC profile level was edited
- Fixed a bug that could prevent conversions from working properly after track extraction jobs
- Fixed a bug that could prevent the Movie, TV Shows, Home Video, ... tag from being properly written
- Added TV Show Names and TV Show Networks to available tags
3.4.1 - 3/2/14
- Fixed a bug that could make the convert button be ignored after a group of files had been added to the job queue
- Fixed a bug that disabled the "Play" button
- Fixed a Watch Mode bug that would prevent some files from being added to the queue
3.4 - 2/22/14
- Can now send subtitles to SUBtools (must be v1.0.b6 or higher) and back for quick editing and formatting fixes
- Added a "Q" button to allow the user to view and manipulate individual files when a group of files are opened
- Users can now specify in preferences whether or not to use Dolby Pro Logic II when surround sound is down mixed to 2-channels
- Fixed a bug that made the app appear to lock up while the fontconfig cache was being initialized
- Improved handling of .ts files
- Multiple bug fixes to track identification which should reduce issues when opening files
- fixed a bug that prevented the track language information from being copied to processed file
- Added a fix to address an ffmpeg bug that could prevent SRT tracks from being muxed properly
- Threading related bug fixes that could cause freezes.
- Fixed bug that prevented metadata artwork from being found at themoviedb.org
- Numerous Mavericks bug fixes
3.3.7 - 10/23/13
- Fixed a bug that prevented metadata from being properly saved
- Can now select surround encodings for any audio with more than 2 channels.
3.3.6 - 10/17/13
- Fixed a library bug that may happen for OS X 10.6 users.
- Fixed a bug that may cause the app to freeze for OS X 10.8 users.
3.3.5 - 9/15/13
- Made more (and hopefully final needed) changes to AVC Profile Level editing which was still causing some iDevice playback issues (freezes, stuttering, ...).
- Added a preference option that will stop MP4tools from editing metadata at the end of processing.
- Fixed bug that would cause strange behavior if a watch mode job was canceled.
3.3.4 - 8/24/13
- Fixed a bug preventing vob files from being processed in watch mode.
- Fixed a bug that prevented some log files from being properly cleaned up.
- Made changes to the AVC Profile Level editing to fix some iDevice playback issues.
- Fixed a bug that would often reset one of the split times to zero
3.3.3 - 8/15/13
- The media type metadata can now be set to allow iTunes to properly identify the type of video
- Fixed a bug that could cause the app to crash when splitting files
3.3.2 - 8/9/13
- Fixed a bug preventing the preferences panel from opening in OS X 10.6
3.3.1 - 8/3/13
- Fixed a spinning beach ball bug for 2-pass encoding
3.3.0 - 7/28/13
- Can now edit video metadata including search/import from movie and TV metadata databases
- The "add 2-ch. track" checkbox has been removed, replaced by the ability to select more than one conversion for individual audio tracks
- The Edit Tracks Tab has been removed. Most of it's functionality was redundant (Extract Tracks is now in the MP4 tab).
- Major changes to the joining code which should improve success rate.
- Code for identifying tracks has been updated to reduce some "MP4tools could not identify ..." messages.
- Added code to produce error log files for occurrences of "MP4tools could not identify ..." messages.
- Major changes to post processing step ("finalizing") which should dramatically improve speeds
- Users can now specify in preferences if video should be "Optimized"
- Improved handling of M2TS/MTS/TS videos
- A number of improvements to burning subtitles (e.g., internal pgs should now be supported)
- Fixed a bug that could cause 2-pass encoding to fail
- Various bug fixes
3.2.5 - 2/7/13
- Fixed a bug that caused files to have the same title which would prevent the files from being imported into iTunes
3.2.4 - 1/28/13
- Fixed a bug that caused the start time to be ignored when splitting videos
- Fixed some permission issues that could effect users on computers with multiple accounts
3.2.3 - 1/21/13
- Fixed a bug that sometimes occurred when multiple audio tracks were selected
- Fixed a bug that might prevent the "Split" button from enabling in Snow Leopard
- Fixed a bug that prevented split files from using the user defined save directory
- Fixed a bug effecting Core Duo processors
- Updated mp4box
3.2.2 - 1/2/13
- Numerous watch mode fixes
- Fixed a bug that could cause videos with AC3 audio to freeze on the ATV
3.2.1 - 12/30/12
- Fixed bug that would potentially freeze the application
- Improved support for MTS video files
- Improved and expanded watch mode
- sub-folders are now "watched"
- watched files are no longer moved to a processing folder
- Numerous fixes to the setting presets
- Presets options now includes "None" for the video track
- Expanded filtering capabilities for the selections presets
3.2 - 11/10/12
- Code has been completely rewritten from applescript to Obj-C so the chance of lingering bugs is high :-).
- Improved general responsiveness of application
- Fixed bug causing the app to crash when multiple files were queued.
- Numerous fixes and improvements to joining.
- Joining (2 files max) can now be tested in the non-registered version. Open a file and then use the Add File button to add a file to join.
- Updated and improved the device list, including added support for iPad 3 and ATV 3
- Updated encoder. See preferences for the option to use the legacy encoder method.
- Added checks for volume permissions and disk space
- Updated muxer should fix "Invalid IsoMedia File" errors when editing mp4/m4v files
- Resolved registration issue with systems where macports had overwritten "user 501"
- Windows can be re-sized.
- ASS/SSA subtitles now burned with all formatting retained
- Uses fontconfig he says with his fingered crossed
- Note, subtitle preferences are ignored since they are defined by the ASS/SSA subtitle track
3.1.4 - 2/3/12
- Fixed bug preventing DV video codecs from being opened.
- Fixed a bug that caused some audio to be "lost" during processing.
3.1.3 - 1/25/12
- Fixed bug preventing the selection of some popups
- Fixed bug where the select all subtitles preset was ignored.
- Fixed bug preventing audio tracks from being passed through in MP4/M4V videos.
- Some bug fixes addressing memory issues which should improve reliability
3.1.2 - 11/9/11
- Fixed bug that could disable buttons in the Edit Files tab.
3.1.1 - 11/6/11
- Improved handling of the creation of videos with multiple audio tracks
- Fixed bug where the added stereo tracks would not be added for batched videos
- Can now edit the track titles
- Improved checking for muxing errors
- Adjusted some window sizes to make the app more user friendly on 1280 x 800 displays
- Fixed bug where Play wouldn't work for subtitled videos
- Can now edit track titles
3.1 - 10/27/11
- Disabled the S, V, and A buttons as they should be in the edit tab
- The Quick Tab has been removed to be replaced by ...
- Added user definable "presets" to automate which tracks are selected
- Added user definable "presets" to automate conversion settings, including the option for letting MP4tools "guess" at the best settings
- MP4tools can now be put in a watch mode, where it will monitor a "watch folder" and process any videos added to the folder using the presets
3.0.3 - 8/19/11
- Improved chance of passed thru h264 video working with iPhones and iPads
- Added ability to edit the language of tracks
3.0.2 - 8/12/11
- Reverted back to a more reliable build of mencoder to fix numerous encoding issues
- fixed bug where 2-pass encoding might fail under Mac OS X 10.7.x
- Fixed an issue where the queue drawer might appear to have locked up when dragging a number of files to MP4tools.
3.0.1 - 7/19/11
- Fixed issue where MP4tools might not recognize filenames containing unicode characters
- fixed bug where header removal compression warning would be repeatedly displayed
3.0 - 6/30/11 (changes from MKVtools 2.4.4)
- Initial release of MP4tools which incorporates all MP4 related features of MKVtools and ...
- New registration system tied to the name of the original user account (admin or standard user) which will allow MP4tools to be registered on multiple and upgraded computers (as long as the computers share original account names).
- Improved conversion of AVI to MP4.
- Improved handling of SSA/ASS subtitles.
- Added the capability to mux multiple audio and sub tracks
- Updated mencoder and mplayer
- added toggle all video/audio/sub buttons
- can now input mpeg 2 video tracks
- dragging and dropping single audio tracks will add it to the current video
- Beta Users: There was a slight change to the registration system that might cause your username to change. E-mail if this happened to you.
- Various bug fixes.