MP4tools is technically trialware, though in reality, the unregistered version has nearly complete functionality with two minor exceptions:
- A “nag” window will appear every time you load a new file.
- You may only run 1 job at a time, so you can't take advantage of the queue and batch capabilities of MP4tools.
The above limitations will disappear if you register the software, which will cost you a total of $5.99, the price of a Big Mac dinner around here. Hopefully you will consider the usefulness of this software to be worth the price of a meal at McDonald's :-).
Note, that the output of the registered and unregistered versions of MP4tools will be identical, so you can thoroughly test MP4tools before you decide to support it’s development. Bugs still exist which may or may not get fixed and there are known issues and probably some unknown issues :-). You should probably consider this software as being sold "as is", so test thoroughly to see if you think you’re getting your moneys worth before registering.
If you decide to register, download the software using the link below, and then follow these registration instructions.
Version 3.0 of MP4tools is the initial version of the application. It was created as an offshoot of version 2.4.x of MKVtools, with the goal of allowing the application to have a better focus on the processing of MP4 video files.
Download MP4tools 3.2.5
MP4tools is Intel-only and requires Mac OS X 10.6.x or later. It has been tested on a MacBook Pro and a Mac Pro with no known issues.
Note, download manager users have had problems downloading from this web site so you may want to turn yours off. Here is a hotfile.com link if you have problems downloading via the above link. Just press the "Free" button and follow the instructions.
If you are having difficulties running the current version of MP4tools, you can try one of the older versions of MKVtools.
If MP4tools doesn't quite do what you want it to, you can see if there is a beta version of the software found here. Please help bring the beta software into general release by sending feedback to: email@example.com
3.2.5 - 2/7/13
- Fixed a bug that caused files to have the same title which would prevent the files from being imported into iTunes
3.2.4 - 1/28/13
- Fixed a bug that caused the start time to be ignored when splitting videos
- Fixed some permission issues that could effect users on computers with mulitple accounts
3.2.3 - 1/21/13
- Fixed a bug that sometimes occurred when multiple audio tracks were selected???
- Fixed a bug that might prevent the "Split" button from enabling in Snow Leopard
- Fixed a bug that prevented split files from using the user defined save directory
- Fixed a bug effecting Core Duo processors
- Updated mp4box
3.2.2 - 1/2/13
- Numerous watch mode fixes
- Fixed a bug that could cause videos with AC3 audio to freeze on the ATV
3.2.1 - 12/30/12
- Fixed bug that would potentially freeze the application
- Improved support for MTS video files
- Improved and expanded watch mode
- subfolders are now "watched"
- watched files are no longer moved to a processing folder
- Numerous fixes to the setting presets
- Presets options now includes "None" for the video track
- Expanded filtering capabilities for the selections presets
3.2 - 11/10/12
- Code has been completely rewritten from applescript to Obj-C so the chance of lingering bugs is high :-).
- Improved general responsiveness of application
- Fixed bug causing the app to crash when multiple files were queued.
- Numerous fixes and improvements to joining.
- Joining (2 files max) can now be tested in the non-registered version. Open a file and then use the Add File button to add a file to join.
- Updated and improved the device list, including added support for iPad 3 and ATV 3
- Updated encoder. See preferences for the option to use the legacy encoder method.
- Added checks for volume permissions and disk space
- Updated muxer should fix "Invalid IsoMedia File" errors when editing mp4/m4v files
- Resolved registration issue with systems where macports had overwritten "user 501"
- Windows can be re-sized.
ASS/SSA subtitles now burned with all formatting retained
- Uses fontconfig he says with his fingered crossed
- Note, subtitle preferences are ignored since they are defined by the ASS/SSA subtitle track
3.1.4 - 2/3/12
- Fixed bug preventing DV video codecs from being opened.
- Fixed a bug that caused some audio to be "lost" during processing.
3.1.3 - 1/25/12
- Fixed bug preventing the selection of some popups
- Fixed bug where the select all subtitles preset was ignored.
- Fixed bug preventing audio tracks from being passed through in MP4/M4V videos.
- Some bug fixes addressing memory issues which should improve reliability
3.1.2 - 11/9/11
- Fixed bug that could disable buttons in the Edit Files tab.
3.1.1 - 11/6/11
- Improved handling of the creation of videos with multiple audio tracks
- Fixed bug where the added stereo tracks would not be added for batched videos
- Can now edit the track titles
- Improved checking for muxing errors
- Adjusted some window sizes to make the app more user friendly on 1280 x 800 displays
- Fixed bug where Play wouldn't work for subtitled videos
- Can now edit track titles
3.1 - 10/27/11
- Disabled the S, V, and A buttons as they should be in the edit tab
- The Quick Tab has been removed to be replaced by ...
- Added user definable "presets" to automate which tracks are selected
- Added user definable "presets" to automate conversion settings, including the option for letting MP4tools "guess" at the best settings
- MP4tools can now be put in a watch mode, where it will monitor a "watch folder" and process any videos added to the folder using the presets
3.0.3 - 8/19/11
- Improved chance of passed thru h264 video working with iPhones and iPads
- Added ability to edit the language of tracks
3.0.2 - 8/12/11
- Reverted back to a more reliable build of mencoder to fix numerous encoding issues
- fixed bug where 2-pass encoding might fail under Mac OS X 10.7.x
- Fixed an issue where the queue drawer might appear to have locked up when dragging a number of files to MP4tools.
3.0.1 - 7/19/11
- Fixed issue where MP4tools might not recognize filenames containing unicode characters
- fixed bug where header removal compression warning would be repeatedly displayed
3.0 - 6/30/11 (changes from MKVtools 2.4.4)
- Initial release of MP4tools which incorporates all MP4 related features of MKVtools and ...
- New registration system tied to the name of the original user account (admin or standard user) which will allow MP4tools to be registered on multiple and upgraded computers (as long as the computers share original account names).
- Improved conversion of AVI to MP4.
- Improved handling of SSA/ASS subtitles.
- Added the capability to mux multiple audio and sub tracks
- Updated mencoder and mplayer
- added toggle all video/audio/sub buttons
- can now input mpeg 2 video tracks
- dragging and dropping single audio tracks will add it to the current video
- Beta Users: There was a slight change to the registration system that might cause your username to change. E-mail if this happened to you.
- Various bug fixes.